Did you know your brain often seeks out and indulges sweet stuff, we mean besides look for L-O-V-E, it actually looks for sugary food? The same neurological system that kicks in when hooked on cocaine, gambling, and other addictive behaviors activated by sugar.
Did You Know
According to Psychology Today, Neuroscientists have shown that using fMRI to scan the brain‘s activity in real-time, that sugar leads to dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens – an area associated with motivation, novelty, and reward. This is the same brain region implicated in response to cocaine and heroin.
This healing dish not only enhance the beauty of #springtime, but it also contains high-quality protein, vibrant greens, nourishing omegas, along with antioxidants - Polyphenols. The protein and essential fatty acids guide the body to gradually convert ingested protein into sugar and nurture your brain as well as the neurological system.
Protein activates appetite suppressant hormone called Cholecystokinin (CCK) in the digestive system and it also has anti-obesity effects. Besides CCK, an amino acid called glutamine can be effective at reducing sugar cravings.
According to Pharmacist & Nutritionist Ben Fuchs, Glutamine is an energy producing molecule that can be easily turned into glucose and can raise blood sugar to the point where you’re just don’t feel like indulging. Glutamine’s energizing properties are especially effective for intestinal cells and this make is a helpful supplement for folks dealing with digestive health issues such as UC, IBS or Crohn’s Disease.
As for Polyphenols in tea, they are prebiotics and feed the healthy bacteria in the gut and help them thrive. They also have anti-viral properties to reduce harmful pathogens. Polyphenols in tea also help you digest faster and keep regular bowel movement (Just like coffee)!
Gut-Brain Healing Dish
Salmon Hemp Quinoa Salad with Oriental Sunset Tea
Spiced salmon and hempseed quinoa, along with curry dressing, and paired with Gut healing Ginger Lemongrass tea. It’s super nutritious and satisfying.
#happygut #happyskin #smartybrain
Prep Time: 10-15mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 - 35 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 136g / 1 cup quinoa, soaked, uncooked
- 136g / 1 cup Hemp Seed
- Pinch of Kosher salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 whole lime
The Mixed Greens
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Baby Spinach
- or ready-to-eat green salad mix
- 453g / 16 ounces salmon fillets, (four 4-ounce pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Ready-To-Use Piri Piri
Plant-Based Alternative for Salmon
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Mushrooms, sliced
- 414ml /14 ounces Coconut Milk (paste is preferred)
- 170g /6 ounces Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- Juice of 1 Whole Lime
- Ready-To-Use Curry Powder
Homemade Piri Piri Seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika.
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 1 teaspoon onion powder.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, add more if you wish
Homemade Curry Powder
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin.
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel seed.
- 2 teaspoons ground yellow or brown mustard.
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper.
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander.
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric.
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground clove
Pairing Drink - Oriental Sunset Tea
- 3 teaspoons ABTea Oriental Sunset Tea Leaves
- Teabag / Tea Infuser
- Hot water
- In a saucepan, bring 1 cup quinoa, 1 cups of water and teaspoon salt to a boil.
- Add in Hemp Seeds, cover and reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes or according to package directions until quinoa is light and fluffy.
- Turn off heat, mix in cilantro and lime juice before serving.
The Mixed Greens
- Rinse well and roughly chop the greens.
- Pre-heat oven to 450'F / 232'C
- Combine salmon fillets (or ingredients mixture in plant-based version) and seasonings in a mixing bag and shake well till even coated with seasonings. (or in a bowl, mix well)
- Line a reusable foil or silicone baking mat in a baking pan, lightly brush olive oil on the mat.
- Transfer salmon fillets to the pan and bake until the fillets are cooked, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine all curry dressing ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes
Oriental Sunset Tea
- Boil filtered water till 212'F / 100'C
- Add tea leaves in a tea infuser, then place in a cup
- Pour the hot water in the cup and let it sit for 5 - 10 mins.
- Served after removing tea infuser.
- Place The Mixed Greens, Hemp Quinoa, Salmon on a plate
- Drizzle curry dressing on top
Enjoy the food and sips of tea.